I hate Pinktober to begin with. I avoid the stores, shut down the requests for donations, and prefer to hibernate until Movember. But METAvivor has much work to do and we don’t have time for distractions. Until this arrived in my email today:
This is so many kinds of wrong the the words are jumbled in my head. Let’s dissect, shall we?
- “Boobs ba boobs ba boobs ta tata.” Really? Is there a male body part that is EVER talked about that way? EVER?
- “Dudes and babies love em.” Well, great, because my breast were all about being available for others to love. How very hetero of them…
- “B cups or DDs, E, Fs, we love you Gs.” And if women sang about penis size, would it STILL be charming?
- And bringing it home, “Please don’t forget to share this reminder to check your pair.” Thanks for that! Care to get mine from pathology for me? (It’s not as easy as you think…)
I’ll ask the questions we always ask…
- If this were another kind of cancer, what is the chance we’d see an upbeat, retro video using nearly every slang term for a body part? Can you see it for prostate? Testicular cancer?
- Why, if advocates can figure out that this is about biology and not early detection, can’t Komen?
- How is it that we are still treating women like children? Cutesy songs to remind us to check our boobies?
Ultimately, I would love to know how the HELL anyone at Komen think this acceptable? I was as optimistic as anyone about the changes at the top, and I appreciate that this is the local LA chapter, but seriously NO ONE at ANY level of Komen could see how demeaning, sexist, insulting, and vile this is?
I know – I’ll be told by many to lighten up, that I take this too seriously. So my questions for those who think this is cute and that I’m over-reacting:
- How lightly shall I take my fatal cancer? What’s the right level of “cute” for you?
- And how the HELL do I explain to my teenage son to RESPECT WOMEN when this crap is out there?
Seriously, I still can’t think straight. PLEASE jump right into the conversation!