The indignities never cease. Truly. There are probably 1001 things that chemo patients go through that are never spoken about. Here are the ones I remember best, and just for fun, I’m hoping others will share!
- In the treatment center, you have to flush twice. Yes, the drugs they pump into your veins are so toxic that one flush doesn’t cut it.
- Your sense of smell can become intense. INTENSE. And it’s hard to ask visitors to make sure they don’t smell before dropping by.
- Cold = pain. It wasn’t until my dad joined me for treatment that we figured out that the pain caused by chemo was a result of the meds being too cold. Who’d have thought?
- Your hair will fall out. Not just your hair, but your HAIR. I’m talking the eyelashes that keep the dust from your eyes, the nose hairs that keep your nose from running…all of it.
- EXCEPT the hairs on your chin. Those stay. God forbid there be a silver lining.
- BUT it does include pubic hair.
- Pass on the spices. Evidently our spices harbor all manner of bacteria unsafe for those with a compromised immune system.
- AND YET…after chemo, I had this hyper-active immune system. As in 3” welts in response to each mosquito bite.
It’s a crap shoot…and I have no doubt that the list of side effects for each and every medication they pumped into me is a mile long. And since I believe I’m still around to write this thanks to the meds, I’m not complaining. But share…what about you?